Help! my OSX doesnt boot cold or from MOL

Richard Eldon BARBER mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 05:00:19 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi, I have 10.1, just installed Mandrake 9.1 PPCLinux on my Beige G3
> w/sonnet G4 upgrade, got everything working except the modem.
> I ran MOL - OSX from a gnome session, and the first time it booted
osx
> fully.  I did not run the penguin hugging the apple program however,
> just closed the window and went away.
]
]You are not supposed to close the window. You should always select
]"shutdown". Closing the window is the equivalent to pressing
]the reset button. Usually, pressing reset works but there is always
]a slight risk that the filesystem is somewhat damaged.

Darn I didnt even think about proper 'shutdown'ing, I was worried it
might actually shutdown the computer instead of just the sub-OS.

> I tried booting my mac coldly
> into the OSX, and the spinning platter icon goes and then some text
> appears 'init: cant open /bin/sh for single-user' and 'for /etc/rc'
> over and over and over.   I tried booting OSX from MOL again, and the
> same thing happens.  How can I get my OSX system back again??
> -thanks
]
]Hmm.. your problem might be that your filesystem is damaged
](boot from the 10.1 install disk, select the disk tools menu
]entry and repair the disk).
]

It did find a bad sibling link and repaired it, but same prob.

]Another possibility (which is much more likely if it was the
]first time you booted Mandrake) is that the MacOS X boot path
](or other firmware settings) are messed up due to the installation
]of the linux boot loader.

Because Im on a Beige G3, Id been using XPostFacto to get into OSX from
OS9 without any problem including also using BootX to get into linux
from OS9.  cmd-opt-p-r'd it and get the same 'init: can't exec' error.

So I looked at my OSX disk in list mode, and noticed that mach and
mach.sym had been changed when I ran MOL, but mach_kernel is unchanged.
  Maybe by not cleanly leaving MOL by selecting shutdown, it didnt
change it back?  Maybe the OSX still thinks its in a MOL window because
it didnt let MOL do a proper clean-up?