Networking Problem

Charles Twardy mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:53:36 +1000

I too am having problems, although previously I have had networking
working. I have uninstalled dhcp and worked it manually to try to
simplify.

The first time I switched to manual and started mol:
	1) it created /dev/net/tun
	2) it found that device on startup
	3) I set the numbers manually as per Networking
	4) I still couldn't see out, so I tried again
	5) On exit, it left /dev/net/tun

On all subsequent attempts, it complains:
	Failed to open /dev/net/tun: No such device
	Failed to initialize the tun-<tun1> device
despite the fact that the device is still there. This happens whether I
start as root or user. I was getting the same error with dhcp.

Another interesting phenomenon. Although it starts fine (except
network), MOL complains:
  No mol-0.9.69 kernel modules corresponding to the running
  2.4.21-ben2 kernel were found ('startmol --list' displays
  installed version). Recompile the mol kernel modules (recommended)
  or try starting MOL as root using the '-a' switch. The '-a'
  flag can be made default by the 'allow_kver_mismatch: yes' setting.

but it also admits:
> startmol --list
  Running kernel:         2.4.21-ben2
  Available modules:
    2.4.21-ben2/misc      in /lib

-Charles

--
Charles R. Twardy               Monash University, School of CSSE
ctwardy at alumni indiana edu   +61(3) 9905 5823 (w)  5146 (fax)