HOWTO: Debian BenH

Charles Twardy mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:35:39 +1000

Jens,

Thanks. I changed your email, and added Samuel's and the list's, and the
note that I'm using unstalbe.

> What version of mol are you using?  The module loading was improved in
> the latest unstable version and the messages now should make sense.
	0.9.69
	mol-modules-2.4.21-ben2_0.9.69+10.00
	"mol is already the newest version"

> > 2) Networking still won't work. I added TUN and recompiled
> >    but maybe I need to put something in modules.conf?
>
> By default, networking is disabled altogether.  It should be
> sufficient to remove the comments from the ``netdriver: tun'' line in
Should be, but it's not working for me. My previous message should have
indicated that the line was uncommented, as mol was trying to load the
tun0 driver and failing. But I've now added the uncommenting step to the
howto, thanks for noting.

I suppose the most likely thing is a kernel or modules misconfiguration,
but I'm suspicious of the modules detection and the fact that mol
doesn't clean up /dev/net/tun after itself.  Given that mol can't find
/dev/net/tun, most of the answers below are determined, but I've
provided what info I can.

> 1. on the Linux side whether
>    a) the module tun is loaded,
	No
crw-------    1 root     root      10, 200 Aug  8 10:18 /dev/net/tun

>    c) an interface tun<number> is up and running,
	No
>    d) the kernel IP filtering rules are allowing packets from this interface,
$ sudo /sbin/iptables -t nat -L
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
mol-ns-redirect  tcp  --  anywhere             192.168.1.1        tcp
dpt:domain
mol-ns-redirect  udp  --  anywhere             192.168.1.1        udp
dpt:domain

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
MASQUERADE  all  --  192.168.1.0/24      !192.168.1.0/24

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain mol-ns-redirect (2 references)
DNAT       all  --  anywhere             anywhere
to:198.142.0.51

> 2. on the Mac OS X side whether
>    a) the driver for the tun interface is installed,
	Ethernet Adapters en2 and en3 are listed
>    b) this interface is available in the Network Port Configurations pane,
	It is grayed out
>    c) this interface is properly configured, and finally
	Would if I could. 192.168 and all that.
> 3. whether you can ping Linux from Mac OS X and vice versa.
	Of course not.

--
Charles R. Twardy               Monash University, School of CSSE
ctwardy at alumni indiana edu   +61(3) 9905 5823 (w)  5146 (fax)