Need some testing...

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:08:14 +0100

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:59:36AM -0500, Bill Fink wrote:
> Hi Samuel,
>
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Bill Fink wrote:
> > > 	- Audio support in OSX
>
> This basically works, but the audio is somewhat staticy, and very
> noticeably with higher resolution QuickTime files (which work great
> under MOL OS9).

OS X has very severe real-time demands. This makes the audio very
sensitive to linux side activity. In particular,

- The mol X11 video driver and audio do not mix well (I'll
will see if I can fix this).

- Make sure DMA is turned on for the harddisk (and make sure
irqs are unmasked)

- It is possible to lower the sound rate from 44kHz to 22kHz
by adding 'max_sound_rate: 22050' to /etc/mol/molrc.osx. This
lessens the real-time requirements somewhat.

> Also as a minor thing, there's no longer a start boing with OS9.

I haven't re-enabled it yet.

> > > 	- UFS boot support (OSX)
> > > 	- Significant OSX optimizations
> > > 	- Improved audio quality in classic MacOS (mp3:s no longer
> > > 	  skips, playing QT movies from the harddisk works better)
>
> Audio with OS9 is very good.
>
> > > Semi-new features (that have been in the developer tree for a while):
> > >
> > > 	- Ejectable CD support (OSX and classic)
>
> This didn't work for me with OSX.  It worked fine with OS9.

Did you add 'blkdev: /dev/cdrom -cd' to /etc/mol/molrc.osx?
This will be the default soon...

> Also, I should mention that I first accidentally had an audio CD
> inserted when I started MOL (OS9), and it confused MOL such that
> the CD didn't show up in MOL and I couldn't eject the CD from the
> Linux side.

OK... I'll fix that.

/Samuel