10.2.4 update hangs MOL

Jamie Clark mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 00:10:13 +0800

Samuel Rydh wrote:

>Hmm. Can you run md5sum on /mac_kernel? Just to make
>sure you have the same 10.2.4 kernel as I have here...

OK, copied from mac partition back to linux:

root@adele:~/# md5sum mach*
bcc6fbf5707d1f0be820b5d5659d3497  mach.sym
6e2ac40db80ebd2aeebbba97df5a9d1c  mach_kernel
root@adele:~/# ls -l mach*
-rw-r--r--    1 jclark   jclark     706480 Feb 17 22:38 mach.sym
-rw-r--r--    1 jclark   jclark    3733508 Jan 30 02:51 mach_kernel

>Btw. did you install/upgrade OSX in MOL or not? I imagine Apple's
>installer might remove "unnecessary" stuff if it doesn't think
>it is needed (but I haven't seen any evidence of it so far).

Yes, I installed in MOL.

First attempt was installed from original 10.2 Jaguar CD (booted in
MOL), upgraded to 10.2.3 about a week ago, then to 10.2.4 a couple of
days ago. Second and subsequent attempts were  installed from the 10.2.3
CD shipped with the last ADC select mailing (again booted in MOL -
flawlessly!) and then upgraded.

In all cases the install has been to a /dev/loop device attached to a
5gig file. The file has a normal looking mac partition map (HFS is part
9) which was formatted with the Disk Utility available at boot time on
the install CD.

There is a "real" 30gig 10.2.4 partition on the disk that was installed
while booted in OSX native. That partition boots OK from
yaboot/openfirmware but exhibits the same hanging behaviour under MOL,
whether I configure it as /dev/hda or /dev/hda13 explicitly.

>I really doubt the kernel/libc version has anything to do with it.

I think so too. Tried the Debian woody 2.4 dist kernel as well as
2.4.20-ben4 and 2.4.20-ben6. Also tried the mol package from sid, the bk
source, and rebuilt everything (kernel, modules and mol) with gcc 2.9.5
as well as debian-unstable default gcc-3.2.3. :)

>If you start osx in verbose mode (startmol --config=v --osx),
>what is printed out?

I forgot to mention that the first time. It show nothing, just blanks
the logo and displays a steady cursor in the top left corner. It does
_not_ get as far as showing the "standard timeslicing quantum" that you
would expect. I have not yet checked if Apple has released the 6.4
darwin kernel to anon cvs yet.

>Another thing you could try is 'startmol -d --osx' which starts
>the debugger and then 'Meta-G' to start mol. 'Meta-S' will stop
>mol and show you what OSX is doing (if you know some assembly).

OK. Meta-G set it running, but Meta-S had no effect (comparing with what
I see with 10.2.3) the cpu continues to spin. I confess I'm new to MOL
so forgive me if I have missed something obvious.

-Jamie