Possible error in /etc/mol/tunconfig in MOL 0.9.67? Network woes.

Marcio Luis Teixeira mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:44:59 -0700

I was having problems with networking using MOL 0.9.65, so I upgraded to the
bleeding edge MOL 0.9.67 in debian unstable.

Using this new version, I had even more troubles and DHCP did not seem to
start on the tun interface, whereas before it did. I traced the problem to
/etc/mol/tunconfig, which has a line that looks like this:

  IFACES=`netstat -i | sed -e 's/^\(tun[0-9]\)\|.*/\1/g'`

I'm not sure why that pipe is in there. Actually executing this does not yield
anything, because the regex doesn't match. I replaced it with:

  IFACES=`netstat -i | sed -n -e 's/^\(tun[0-9]\).*/\1/gp'`

And at least DHCP works for me now. Is this a bug in MOL, or in debian's
packaging of MOL?

After that fix, MOL 0.9.67 works exactly as MOL 0.9.65 and I see no
improvement in my networking situation. I am able to ping everything from the
command line, either using an IP address or a network name. I can even
"telnet www.google.com 80" and type "GET /" to get a web page from google,
but when I do the same thing in Internet Explorer, I get this error:

   The attempt to load 'Accessing URL: http://www.google.com/' failed.

The error message doesn't even make sense, so I haven't a clue what it's
about. If I boot into Mac OS 10.2 without MOL, it works fine.

I've seen a post on the archives about IE and Mozilla using a different API
than the stuff from the command line, and that being an explanation for
differing behavior. I've also seen another post about packets getting
corrupted with fives if they were bigger than a specific size.

Can any of these explanations be what's happening to me? I'm stumped. Any
ideas would be appreciated?

Marcio Luis Teixeira