A few MOL questions

Marcio Luis Teixeira mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:08:55 -0700

Hi there,

I've sucessfully booted Mac OS X under MOL on a dual-processor G4 and for the
most part, it seems to be working well. This is great! As a long-time Linux
user, I wanted to try Mac OS X, but not be locked in to it or having to
commit to it full-time -- MOL lets me do just that! This is one incredibly
amazing piece of software!

Anyhow, initial configuration was pretty easy, but now I have a few questions
and minor issues to resolve:

1) The icon for the disk drive on the Mac OS X desktop does not appear. I get
the label ("MacintoshHD") under the place where the icon would be, but no
icon. I can still open the drive by double-clicking it. This problem only
shows up when running Mac OS X under MOL. Very strange. Any ideas?

2) I have MOL set to run on the console. I am able to use the Mac OS X display
control panel to change the monitor resolution to 1280x1024, and MOL changes
the resolution appropriately, but Mac OS X does not let me pick a refresh
rate any higher than 60Hz (all the other choices are grayed). At that
resolution, 60Hz isn't quite adequate and the image sort of shimmers. I know
that my monitor supports much higher refresh rates at that resolution (up to
80Hz, I think). How can I get MacOS/MOL to recognize that frequency? I
believe part of the problem is that "molvconfig" does not probe for anything
higher than 60Hz at that resolution. I do not think this is a XFree86
configuration problem since I'm able to get a flicker-free image at the same
resolution on my Linux desktop.

3) I would like to set up networking, but I'm not sure which method I want to
use yet. It would be cool if both OSes could be visible on the network so I
could "telnet" to either one -- is this even possible with a single NIC? I
didn't think so, but the instructions for "Basic Networking" say that each OS
gets its own IP, so it seems to imply that it is possible. Can anyone clarify
how this works and what it is capable of?

4) For the "Advanced Networking" method, using the masquerading, the docs in
the user guide are sparse and carries the message "More documentation will be
added later...". Are any more up-to-date docs or HOW-TOs available, in case I
want to give that a try?

5) What's the best way to share data between the two OSes? I read somewhere
that HFS+ is not supported under Linux -- is this still the case? How about
"ext3" under Mac OS X? If I can't do a direct mount, can I use the AppleTalk
services under Linux to export a drive for Mac OS X to use, or NFS under Mac
OS X to export a drive to Linux?

Right now, I know zilch about Mac OS X, so if the answer to these questions
are dead-obvious to a Mac OS X person, I apologize for my ignorance.

Marcio Luis Teixeira