MOL now has true USB support

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 20:21:10 +0200

Hi,

The MOL dev tree now has USB support. So far, I have tested it
successfully with the following devices

	- Iomega CD burner
	- Roland MIDI interface
	- Kodak CX4200 digital camera

but I would appreciate some further testing. Some notes about the
implementation:

- Hotplug is fully supported

- Interrupt based devices (keybards/mice) are not yet supported
(for one thing, it is difficult to get raw accesst to them
since the linux kernel typically reserves all HID devices).

- Isochronous transfer is not supported (yet). Thus things
like USB speakers will not work.

- MOL only sees unclaimed devices. That is, if you have an USB CD
player then it will be necessary to turn off the 'USB mass
storage device support' kernel option. I'm considering
writing a small kernel patch to let MOL "takeover" any
USB device.

- USB works under both MacOS (newworld) and MacOS X.

/Samuel