Serious problems with OldWorld booting on a Mac 7300

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:03:16 +0200

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:20:23PM -0600, J. Blank wrote:
> ..and also on a 7500!
>
> I cannot get OldWorld boot to work AT ALL-- meaning that I ALSO cannot get
> System 7.5.3 to boot (and I want to, for some silly reason-- humor me) on
> my 7300 motherboard, or my 7500. Kernel version is 2.4.21-ben2, and I
> cannot seem to get it to work:
>
> * With a ROM I dumped from the 7500
> * With a ROM I dumped from the 7300
> * With a ROM from a 7200
> * Reading the ROM from the machine itself
> * Using a 7200 oftree
> * Using an 8500 oftree
>
> ...and by the way, HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR OWN OFTREES??!? I am AMAZED that
> no one has ever provided documentation for that... or would a 7500 or 7300
> oftree be identical to an 8500 or a 7200? (???)

I recommend you use the 7200 ROM and the 8500 oftree. This combination
is the most tested one (and the one I test now and then).

As for making your own oftrees; in the oldworld case it does not really
make sense since it is only used to configure MOL (the oftree is hardcoded
in the ROM so MOL never feeds MacOS a copy of the oftree). What one can do
is obtaining a copy from an oldworld machine. There is a small utility
in the util/ofdump directory which does this (you will have to compile it).

> Anyhow, the system boots up to the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen... and
> goes no further.

Try shift-booting. The really old Mac OS versions does not probe
for the Awacs audio hardware (which is not emulated). If a dialog
or alert box is presented during startup (normally the checking disks
dialog) the beep will hang the system before the box actually pops up...

Once Mac OS has booted, mute the sound (or switch to the
MolAudio driver).

Oh... and make sure you have built mol from the developer tree of MOL
(newer CPUs, e.g. the 7455, won't be able to boot oldworld systems
without a fix which is in this tree).

/Samuel