Failure to recognise bootdisk

Brian Ruth mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:57:58 +0100

Robert Wilson writes:

> My molrc file reads:
>
> blkdev:   /dev/cdrom   -cd -boot
> blkdev:   /dev/hda10   -rw -boot
>
> And the output reads what's below. Thanks for any help. --Andrew
>
>      CD   /dev/cdrom       CD-ROM         <read-only>   ------
> ----> /dev/hda9 might be a boot-strap partition.
>      HFS+ /dev/hda10       The Disk       <rw> 15232 MB
> No volumes found in '/dev/hdb'
> No volumes found in '/dev/sda'
> No volumes found in '/dev/sdb'
>

>  >> =============================================================
>  >> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.12
>
>  >> --- No bootable disk was found! -----------------------------
>  >> If this is an oldworld machine, try booting from the MacOS
>  >> install CD and install MacOS from within MOL.
>  >> -------------------------------------------------------------

Not too sure about that one - what machine are you using?

> I have a similar problem, trying to boot 9.2.2. from CD.

That should work! Did you do 'startmol --cdboot' to force it to boot from
CD, rather than the hard disc?

> As well as a read out similar to the above, I also have "DHCP server
> not installed" and "modprobe: cant locate module ip_tables".

You probably need to install the DCHP server (it's one of the standard
packages in most Linux distributions, I think), and you also need to
compile support for the IP-tables firewall/NAT into your Linux kernel - the
TUN network driver uses these (though MOL should start okay without them).

Brian.