tap, sheepnet, project info

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:44:50 +0200

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 07:16:15PM +0200, Karosa Alabaster wrote:
> You said that MacOS and Linux can share one ip address with
> masq techniques.. I don't know right, but ip-masq makes me think about
> nat.. So is this nating the two oses?

Yes, NAT is used to share a single IP.

> Or am I mistaken? I'd like to know if there's
> a possibility for the two oses to use one ip address, and for macos to have
> total control over the network, without the need of portforwarding, and iptables/ipchains,
> firewalls, etc... I know I'm a little confused about this networking bit.

Well, NAT is necessary if one wants to share a single IP. Basically MOL lives
on a private network which is world-visible through NAT.

I have thought about implementing something at socket level, but I can't
see any real benefits from doing that.

>could you help me out? And what about the basic networking bit, with sheepnet? I see that
> also as a nat.. Argh!.. help please :)

The sheepnet driver is an alternate solution. Basically the ethernet interface
is shared between MOL and linux. Separate IP addresses has to be used for MOL and
linux. The sheepnet solution is mostly useful for AppleTalk and non-IP protocols.

(Btw. I have recently fixed the sheepnet driver. It now works with OS X)

/Samuel