netatalk problems

Marvin Germain mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 05 Jun 2003 20:24:32 -0700

I want to enable printing over netatalk, but netatalk refuses to connect to
the tun0 device.  Starting with the following atalkd.conf file:

# cat /etc/netatalk/atalkd.conf
eth0
eth1 -seed
tun0 -seed

I restart the daemon, which changes atalkd.conf as follows:

# /etc/init.d/netatalk restart
Restarting AppleTalk Daemons (this will take a while)..done.
# cat /etc/netatalk/atalkd.conf
eth0 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 65280.22
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 0.0
tun0 -seed -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 0.0

Note that addresses of 0.0 are illegal.  eth1 is another network with another
mac on it.  eth1 does not work either.  The -seed options do not change the
outcome.  Plus, looking at the /proc/net/atalk_iface file reveals

# cat /proc/net/atalk_iface
Interface         Address   Networks   Status
eth0             FF00:16  FF00-FFFE  0
lo               0000:00  0000-0000  0

So only eth0 gets configured, and my macs are on tun0 and eth1.  MOL wants an
address of 65514.144 according to the appletalk control
panel, but the atalkd.conf file gets over written with 0.0 no matter what
address I put in.  Can anyone help me understand what is happening?
Thanks.
Marvin