Misc MOL questions

Dara Hazeghi mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:59:07 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

sorry to keep being a pest. Before listing some of the
latest little glitches, I wanted to mention that
0.9.68 has been very good, especially for MacOS X. In
full screen mode, I can now watch movie trailers of
Apple's website with no audio skipping. Wow!

Now on to the questions...

So regarding MacOS 7.6 (and 8.0). It seems that the
AWACS check is the cause of my troubles. Question is
how can I work around it. The hang is early in the
bootup sequence, even before extensions have begun
disabling audio (and startupboing) and that doesn't
work. Any other suggestions? Obviously it's not a
_big_ deal, but...

As to MOL networking in MacOS 8.1, I'm pretty much
baffled. I configure it to use DHCP, tell it to use
Ethernet Slot C1, and as soon as I make any network
request, everything save screen updates hang, for a
real long time. Nor for that matter, does anything
ever make it through the network. For 4-5 minutes,
MacOS appears to hang, and then regains interactivity,
as if nothing had happened. In the process, I get a
number of "Warning: Ethernet packet dropped." Any
ideas on how to debug this?

Final question is regarding VirtualPC. I gather that
it's not expected to work. On MacOS X, indeed, I alway
get "Unhandled PowerPC Exception: 0x300 data access
fault, in VirtualPC, but MacOS manages fine. But on
MacOS 9, it also crashes the emulator. Under debugging
mode, I get: Exiting due to crashed thread, and the
debugger itself is hung. Not in debug mode, I simply
get a segmentation fault. Not that I also receive some
screen corruption (upper parts of the screen turn
black), so it could be an X bug.

Dara

P.S. It's cool to see that booting OS X on MOL is now
dramatically faster than native.