Locked MacOS X Volume Locked

J. De Salvo mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:27:08 -0500

Hi, Samuel and others--

Just wanted to follow up with a solution to the problem I had been
having.

I had been receiving the following message after running startmol --osx
with the latest MOL 0.9.86:

HFS+ /dev/hdb10       OS X           <rw> 64927 MB
    HFS+ /dev/hdb9        OS 9           <rw> 11390 MB
 ------> The volume '/dev/hdb10' is locked
HFS+ /dev/hdb10       OS X           <read-only>  64927 MB

It turns out it was not a stale process. Instead it was a config file
problem. After commenting out the following lines in the molrc.osx
file, the problem went away. OS X boots. Networking--appletalk and
tcp/ip--also works. I am happy.

ifempty ${altconfig} {
    # default configuration
    blkdev:		/dev/hdb10	-rw
   # blkdev:		/dev/hdb	-rw
   # blkdev:		/dev/sda	-rw
   # blkdev:		/dev/sdb	-rw

} else {
    # alternate configuration
   #  blkdev:		/tmp/osx.image	-rw
    #blkdev:		/dev/loop0	-rw
}

This might have seemed an obvious action to perform in the first place,
but it wasn't to me. I had thought that by entering the correct
partition for OS X the other lines were superfluous and would be
ignored--without the need for me to comment them out. Evidently that is
not the case. I am also embarrassed.

Anyway, hope this might be helpful to some of you. Thanks Samuel for
taking the time to respond to my initial concerns and especially for
MOL and its continuing development.

Best,
--Joe