HFS+ & Networking

Eric Volker mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:59:17 -0600

After a bit of research, I found the cause of error 50 - copying a file
with a long name from an HFS+ to HFS volume. Renaming the file to
something less than 32 characters enabled me to copy the file.

Samuel Rydh wrote:

>i)	Use -boot to specify the boot volume (if it was one of the
>	other volumes that triggered the problem). Note that
>	for this to really be useful, one has to specify the
>	fully qualified partition, e.g. 'blkdev: /dev/hda7 -rw -boot'.
>
>ii)	If the problem is still there, copy the "System Folder/Mac OS ROM"
>	file to the linux side (avoid MacBinary encoding!) and
>	specify it using 'newworld_rom: /path/to/the/rom_file' in
>	/etc/mol/molrc.macos.

i) works perfectly. ii) gets me to a happy mac, but no further. The last
output from MOL is:

 >> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.12
 >> Timer calibration fix: 33.29 MHz [24673]
 >> Starting ELF boot loader

+ Mouse Driver v1.0
+ Asynchronous Block Driver v1.4
+ Video Driver v1.12

The happy mac sits there until I hit CTRL-C. Obviously, the HFS+ bug is
not causing this, but something else has gone awry. The System Folder on
the HFS+ volume is an exact copy of the one on the HFS volume, so it's
not obvious to me why it won't boot.

>Are you certain you have selected the tun driver? By default,
>two "ethernet cards" show up in MacOS (the sheep_net driver and the
>tun driver).

When I start MOL I see in the terminal:

---> The network interface 'eth0' is not configured!
Failed to initialize the sheep-<eth0> device

 > As for DHCP, check that you have the /usr/sbin/dhcpd daemon installed.
 > You might also have to uncomment the line

>#ddns-update-style      ad-hoc;
>
>in /etc/mol/dhcpd-mol.conf (some versions of the dhcpd client requires
>it, others choke on it...).

After twiddling with my router and modifying "ddns-update-style" and
"option domain-name-servers", I got NAT and DHCP running properly. NAT
apparently is not passing DNS queries.

I've got it working just about perfectly now. Only a few minor gotchas:

1) No difference between right and left mouse buttons in OS 9.
2) Middle mouse button works as right mouse button under OS X.
3) The option key is interpreted as the command key. Any way to modify this?
4) Quicktime performance under OS X is much worse than OS 9. I think
this is an audio not a video issue; when audio is disabled Quicktime is
responsive under OS X.
5) Console mode won't work. Testing any mode with molvconfig results in
a blank screen. The only way to recover from this is to power cycle.
This kernel output might have something to do with it:

PCI: Enabling device 00:10.0 (0086 -> 0087)
radeonfb: ref_clk=2700, ref_div=12, xclk=20025 from OF
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
radeonfb: ATI Radeon 7500 QW  DDR SGRAM 32 MB
radeonfb: DVI port no monitor connected
radeonfb: CRT port no monitor connected
no framebuffer address found for
/pci@f0000000/ATY,BlueStoneParent@10/ATY,BlueStone_B

Note that the kernel apparently can't detect any monitors attached to
the video card, even though character mode output and X Windows work
fine. In browsing through the list archive I've noticed at least one
other Radeon 7500 user complaining of the same problem.

Otherwise, MOL is fantastic! Thanks for taking the time and effort to
create such a great piece of software.

Thanks,

Eric Volker
ebv1@charter.net