HFS+ & Networking

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:05:30 +0100

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 06:59:17PM -0600, Eric Volker wrote:
> i) works perfectly. ii) gets me to a happy mac, but no further. The last
> output from MOL is:
>
> >> =============================================================
> >> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.12
> >> Timer calibration fix: 33.29 MHz [24673]
> >> Starting ELF boot loader
> >> =============================================================
>
> + Mouse Driver v1.0
> + Asynchronous Block Driver v1.4
> + Video Driver v1.12
>
> The happy mac sits there until I hit CTRL-C.

ii) requires i). Without the -boot flag, MOL doesn't know
which volume is the boot volume and it might try to newworld
boot from the OSX volume...

> Obviously, the HFS+ bug is
> not causing this, but something else has gone awry. The System Folder on
> the HFS+ volume is an exact copy of the one on the HFS volume, so it's
> not obvious to me why it won't boot.

I guess it is the lack of the -boot flag as I stated above, but
also make sure the System Folder is blessed (this is a problem
when MacOS 9 and MacOS X shares the same partition).

> After twiddling with my router and modifying "ddns-update-style" and
> "option domain-name-servers", I got NAT and DHCP running properly. NAT
> apparently is not passing DNS queries.

Hmm... NAT forwards DNS queries here. I don't know why it
doesn't work for you. Perhaps the line

	NAMESERVER=`grep ^nameserver /etc/resolv.conf | awk --
		'{ print $2 ; exit 0; }'`

in /etc/mol/tunconfig doesn't extract the correct nameserver.

> I've got it working just about perfectly now. Only a few minor gotchas:
>
> 1) No difference between right and left mouse buttons in OS 9.
I want to have ctrl-click on the right button. However, that has not
been implemented yet.

> 2) Middle mouse button works as right mouse button under OS X.
I have to check this one. MacOS X and linux might have different
opinions how to number the buttons.

> 3) The option key is interpreted as the command key. Any way to modify this?
startmol --keyconfig

> 4) Quicktime performance under OS X is much worse than OS 9. I think
> this is an audio not a video issue; when audio is disabled Quicktime is
> responsive under OS X.
You could try lowering the sound rate (max_sount_rate: 22050).
However, from point 5) below I would say that your problem
is that you try to play quicktime movies in the X11-mode.
That is _not_ recommended. It will not work very well.

> 5) Console mode won't work. Testing any mode with molvconfig results in
> a blank screen. The only way to recover from this is to power cycle.
> This kernel output might have something to do with it:

I believe this is a fbdev driver problem. Have you
got xdga to function? (X11 xdga is mostly broken but
one of the modes might work)

/Samuel