HFS+ & Networking

Eric Volker mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:53:24 -0600

Samuel Rydh wrote:

>ii) requires i). Without the -boot flag, MOL doesn't know
>which volume is the boot volume and it might try to newworld
>boot from the OSX volume...

With the HFS+ partition specified by -boot, it still locks up (see
comments below.)

>I guess it is the lack of the -boot flag as I stated above, but
>also make sure the System Folder is blessed (this is a problem
>when MacOS 9 and MacOS X shares the same partition).

This seems to be the real problem. No matter whether I boot off of a CD
or off of the HFS partition, I can't seem to bless the System Folder on
the HFS+ partition. No matter how many times I open and close it, the
regular folder icon remains. Ever seen this behavior before?

>Hmm... NAT forwards DNS queries here. I don't know why it
>doesn't work for you. Perhaps the line
>
>	NAMESERVER=`grep ^nameserver /etc/resolv.conf | awk --
>		'{ print $2 ; exit 0; }'`
>
>in /etc/mol/tunconfig doesn't extract the correct nameserver.

For some reason, my network configuration script puts a nameserver of
127.0.0.1 in the first position in resolv.conf. Since I have it working
as is, I'm not going to tinker with the script.

>>3) The option key is interpreted as the command key. Any way to modify this?
>>

>startmol --keyconfig

Well, this sort of solved the problem. But X appears to be intercepting
the alt/option keystroke, because when I hit option and try to drag the
control strip, the whole MOL window is dragged instead.

>>4) Quicktime performance under OS X is much worse than OS 9. I think
>>this is an audio not a video issue; when audio is disabled Quicktime is
>>responsive under OS X.
>>

>You could try lowering the sound rate (max_sount_rate: 22050).
>However, from point 5) below I would say that your problem
>is that you try to play quicktime movies in the X11-mode.
>That is _not_ recommended. It will not work very well.

max_sound_rate fixed the problem, though sound quality suffers. I'm
using a hardware accelerated X server, so performance isn't as bad as
you might think.

>>5) Console mode won't work. Testing any mode with molvconfig results in
>>a blank screen. The only way to recover from this is to power cycle.
>>This kernel output might have something to do with it:
>>

>I believe this is a fbdev driver problem. Have you
>got xdga to function? (X11 xdga is mostly broken but
>one of the modes might work)

xdga returns extremely weird resolutions like 1280x13307. No help there.

Thanks again,

Eric Volker
ebv1@charter.net