HFS+ & Networking

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:56:53 +0100

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:53:24PM -0600, Eric Volker wrote:
> This seems to be the real problem. No matter whether I boot off of a CD
> or off of the HFS partition, I can't seem to bless the System Folder on
> the HFS+ partition. No matter how many times I open and close it, the
> regular folder icon remains. Ever seen this behavior before?

The trick is to move the Finder file out of the System Folder
and then put it back (doesn't work under OSX though).

> >Hmm... NAT forwards DNS queries here. I don't know why it
> >doesn't work for you. Perhaps the line
>
> For some reason, my network configuration script puts a nameserver of
> 127.0.0.1 in the first position in resolv.conf. Since I have it working
> as is, I'm not going to tinker with the script.

OK, that explains it.

> >>3) The option key is interpreted as the command key. Any way to modify
> >>this?
> >startmol --keyconfig
> >
> Well, this sort of solved the problem. But X appears to be intercepting
> the alt/option keystroke, because when I hit option and try to drag the
> control strip, the whole MOL window is dragged instead.

Switch to fvwm :-).

> >I would say that your problem>is that you try to play
> >quicktime movies in the X11-mode.
> >That is _not_ recommended. It will not work very well.
>
> max_sound_rate fixed the problem, though sound quality suffers. I'm
> using a hardware accelerated X server, so performance isn't as bad as
> you might think.

Unfortunately, XFree86 does not provide a suitable method
for MOL to use the accelerator. MOL renders to an offscreen
buffer and uses the MMU and checksumming to determine if
a particular part of the window needs to be refreshed.

I've thought about writing a small XFree86 extension
to allow MOL to mmap some video RAM directly and then
use the hardware blitter to update the MOL window. This
would make mol-in-a-window mode almost as fast as
full-screen mode.

In any case, I think I'll add AltiVec optimization to
the checksumming code.

/Samuel