Problems starting MOL

Tom Fowler mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 11 May 2003 21:18:55 -0700

Hello,

Fresh install of YDL 3.0 on a MDD 867 Powermac G4.  I have OS X installed on it's own drive and OS 9 installed on it's own drive.  YDL also is on a separate hard drive.  This computer has a GeForce4MX installed and is giving me problems.  NONE of the modes in molvconfig work.  They all show "BAD" in every color depth.  Also, I cannot seem to get the MOL to start.  I have failed at getting both OS 9 and OS X to start.  Currently I am trying OS 9.

Here is the error message I am seeing.

**********************************
[root@powermac tom]# startmol
Mac-on-Linux 0.9.68 Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Samuel Rydh
Starting MOL session 0
Running in PowerPC G4 mode, 128 MB RAM
Timebase: 33.30 MHz, Bus: 133.22 MHz, Clock: 866 MHz
Using USB mouse on /dev/input/mice
Could not open '/var/lib/mol/x11.kbd'
Fullscreen video on VT 8.
Could not open '/var/lib/mol/console.kbd'
Cache enabled for console-video
Video driver(s): [xvideo] [console_video]

     640* 480, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz
     800* 600, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz
    1024* 768, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz
    1152* 864, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz
    1152* 870, depth 8   { 0.0 } Hz
    1280*1024, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz
    1600*1200, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz

No video mode match the default one.
Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF
DHCP nameserver exported: 'omitted for the email'
Ethernet Interface (port 2) 'tun-<tun0>' @ 00:00:0D:EA:DB:EE

    CD   /dev/cdrom       CD-ROM         <read-only>   ------
    HFS+ /dev/hda9        OS 9 & Backup  <rw> 57219 MB BOOT
----> /dev/hdb9 might be a boot-strap partition.
No volumes found in '/dev/hdb'
No volumes found in '/dev/sda'
No volumes found in '/dev/sdb'

>> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.12
>> Searching OS 9 & Backup for a 'Mac OS ROM' file
>> os_seek error

>> --- No bootable disk was found! -----------------------------
>> If this is an oldworld machine, try booting from the MacOS
>> install CD and install MacOS from within MOL.
cleaning up...
Terminating threads...
DONE
[root@powermac tom]#

/dev/hda9 is the MacOS partition, /dev/hde10 is the OS X partition and Linux lives on /dev/hdb.  Here is my /etc/molrc file.

# -*- perl -*- (for emacs syntax coloring)
#
#  /etc/mol/molrc.macos
#
#  Mac-on-Linux master configuration file for MacOS (classic) booting
#

# Parse other config files (these files are in /etc/mol/)

include         ${etc}/molrc.video      # video configuration
include         ${etc}/molrc.input      # mouse and keyboard
include         ${etc}/molrc.net        # networking

# Misc Settings

ram_size:               128             # should probably be increased
disable_altivec:        no              #

sound_driver:           dsp             # (any | dsp | esd)
sound_device:           /dev/dsp

play_startboing:        no              # play startboing
#disable_sound:         yes             #

# HFS Volumes
#
#       To use a HFS disk in mol, add a blkdev line. The syntax is
#
#               blkdev:         <device>   [flags]
#
#       where <device> can be an entire disk (/dev/sda), a single
#       partition (/dev/sda6) or a disk image (/home/samuel/moldisk).
#
#       Valid flags are
#
#               -rw/-ro         read-write / read-only [default]
#               -force          export non-HFS partitions (be careful!)
#               -whole          export the complete disk rather than individual
#                               partitions (be careful!)
#               -cd             CD/DVD
#               -boot           boot from this disk.
#               -boot1          boot from this disk (ignore other -boot flags)
#
#       If the --cdboot switch is used, then MOL will boot from CD

blkdev:                 /dev/cdrom      -cd ${cdboot}

ifeq ${session} 0 {
    # default configuration
    blkdev:             /dev/hda9       -boot -rw
    blkdev:             /dev/hdb        -rw
    blkdev:             /dev/sda        -rw
    blkdev:             /dev/sdb        -rw
}

ifeq ${session} 4 {
    # alternate configuration (startmol --alt)
    blkdev:             /tmp/hfs.image  -rw
}

ifeq ${boot_type} oldworld {
    # oldworld booting (for MacOS 8.5 or older)
    blkdev:             /tmp/oldworld.image -rw
}

# MacOS ROM Newworld Configuration
#
#       By default, MOL loads the 'Mac OS ROM' file directly from the System
#       Folder of the startup disk. If this is not desirable (unlikely),
#       then the ROM can be loaded from the linux side by using the
#       newworld_rom keyword. Note that the ROM file must be copied to the
#       linux side as a *binary* without any kind of encoding (avoid
#       MacBinary in particular).
#
#               newworld_rom:   /BK/roms/rom.1.6.nw

Thanks,

Tom