You need to restart your computer (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF)

Clinton C.MacDonald mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:53:27 -0600

Mr. van der Vossen:

On Nov 30, 2003, at 11:51 AM, Thijs van der Vossen wrote:
> The first time I tried to run OS X (Jaguar) in MOL on Yellow Dog Linux
> 3.0, everything worked fine. After I installed the MOL driver package
> in OS X I got the following message from OS X:
>
> "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for
> several seconds or press the Restart button."

Unfortunately, you experienced a kernel panic in Mac OS X. In the
regular Mac OS X environment (not MOL), there is little you can do but
follow the advice printed on the screen.

> I upgraded MOL to 0.9.68, but this doesn't seem to help. I've found
> reports of this message in multiple posts on the list, but I couldn't
> find a solution. I am not running OS X on a HFS+, not UFS and it
> worked the first time I booted OS X in MOL. Anybody got any idea?

I am not sure how OS X under MOL works -- I would have thought it would
have been more "insulated" from kernel panics than running Mac OS X
directly. Are you able to go to a new console using control-alt-F3 (or
another F key numbered one through seven)? If so, then only the MOL
environment has panicked, and you can cancel the processes from another
console while logged in as root.

In Mac OS X, kernel panics are almost always attributed to unusual
hardware that lacks drivers, or has buggy drivers. Try unplugging
everything from your Mac but the keyboard and mouse (remember to remove
any PCMCIA or unusual PCI cards), and see if the problem goes away.

I am not an expert, but I hope this explanation is useful.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal DOT
net>