PPC Emulator, is this real?!?!

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:05:22 +0200

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:05:22PM +0200, Fredrik Andersson wrote:
> This emulator don't even emulate an MMU (I didn't find any indications
> on that anyway.),
> also. I wouldn't expect this to even be playable, demos might run
> quick. just like there's playstation 2 emulators who can run some demos
> with a decent framerate, but real games are way more complex. besides
> the Gekko has special vector and graphics extensions which will be very
> heavy to emulate.

Yes, as Fredik says, the MMU is the tricky part. It can't be
emulated (at least not if one want something that is usable)
but has to be virtualized on top of the x86 CPU.

If one virtualizes the MMU, then one can probably get something
that runs fast enough. I believe one should start from
scratch though since most PowerPC emulators out there are
not really suitable for MOL.

/Samuel