Classic MOL newbie question

Jens Schmalzing mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
05 Sep 2003 07:46:09 +0200

Hi,

Brendan J Simon writes:

> Q1) Can I install Classic mode drivers without reformatting my
> partiton (off topic I guess) ?

No.  The Mac OS 9 driver partition go at the beginning of your disk,
which is currently occupied by either Debian or Mac OS X.

> Q2) Can MOL run classic mode apps.  From what I've read MOL does not
> run classic mode as it is a classic emulator in it's own right.
> True???

You are mixing things up a bit.  First of all, when you refer to
Classic mode you actually mean Mac OS 9.  Classic is an emulator to
run Mac OS 9 inside Mac OS X.  And mol is strictly speaking a virtual
machine and doesn't care too much about the operating system it runs.
Among other, Mac OS 9 runs just fine.

> Q3) Can MOL run classic apps _without_ installing classic mode drivers
> on the MacOS-X partion???  This would be nice.

Yes.  Get a bootable Mac OS 9 CD, create a large empty file, feed this
file to MOL as a disk, boot from the CD, install Mac OS 9 on the disk
that is actually a file, enjoy.  Feel free to ask for more details of
each of the above steps.

Regards, Jens.

--=20
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je p=E9zqbpbe je djuz tqtaj!