Classic MOL newbie question

Brendan J Simon mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:57:10 +1000

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your response.  I do have a couple of questions.

>>Q1) Can I install Classic mode drivers without reformatting my
>>partiton (off topic I guess) ?
>>

>No.  The Mac OS 9 driver partition go at the beginning of your disk,
>which is currently occupied by either Debian or Mac OS X.

Yes I have seen this on a previous Mac that came with MacOS-9 which I
installed Debian on too.  There were 3 or 4 small partitions at the
start for Mac drivers.  I was never quite sure of the exact contents but
it seemed like a strange idea to me to install drivers on these
partitions.  I mean what if you ran out of partition space then you are
stuffed.  I'm sure this must have been considered and probably isn't a
problem in reality.

>>Q2) Can MOL run classic mode apps.  From what I've read MOL does not
>>run classic mode as it is a classic emulator in it's own right.
>>True???
>>

>You are mixing things up a bit.  First of all, when you refer to
>Classic mode you actually mean Mac OS 9.  Classic is an emulator to
>run Mac OS 9 inside Mac OS X.  And mol is strictly speaking a virtual
>machine and doesn't care too much about the operating system it runs.
>Among other, Mac OS 9 runs just fine.

I didn't make my self very clear and probably mixed up some
terminology.  Classic mode is Apples emulator on MacOS-X to run MacOS-9
and earlier binaries.

>>Q3) Can MOL run classic apps _without_ installing classic mode drivers
>>on the MacOS-X partion???  This would be nice.
>>

>Yes.  Get a bootable Mac OS 9 CD, create a large empty file, feed this
>file to MOL as a disk, boot from the CD, install Mac OS 9 on the disk
>that is actually a file, enjoy.  Feel free to ask for more details of
>each of the above steps.

How do I create a large empty file and what do you mean by large?
I assume this is a file that looks like a disk which MOL can "boot" from?
If there are step by step instructions for this in the docs then please
point me to them so I don't hassle you too much.

Many many thanks,
I'm extremely excited about trying MOL from Debian.  I do have to get my
XF86 working properly though, which is another story all together.

Regards,
Brendan Simon.