Classic MOL newbie question

Jens Schmalzing mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
05 Sep 2003 10:26:26 +0200

Hi,

Brendan J Simon writes:

> How do I create a large empty file and what do you mean by large?

For Mac OS 9, a 1 Gigabyte file is more than sufficient.  You can
create it with the command:

 dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/some/location/macos9 bs=3D1k count=3D1M

and feed it to MOL with a line like:

 blkdev: /some/location/macos9 -rw -force

in the file /etc/mol/molrc.macos.  For safety, remove the other blkdev
lines in that file.  Then you should be able to run `startmol
--cdboot' with the Mac OS 9 CD inserted and get a Mac OS 9 installer
and an empty 1GB hard disk that you can install on.  After that,
remove the CD, change the line to:

 blkdev: /some/location/macos9 -rw -boot

and just run `startmol'.  It should boot the Mac OS 9 you just installed.

> I assume this is a file that looks like a disk which MOL can "boot" from?

Yes.

> If there are step by step instructions for this in the docs then
> please point me to them so I don't hassle you too much.

There is a nice howto on running mol and the benh kernel with Debian
at <URL:http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~ctwardy/mol-debian-benh.html>.
It doesn't cover Mac OS 9 installation on a file, though.

Regards, Jens.

--=20
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je p=E9zqbpbe je djuz tqtaj!