Classic MOL newbie question

Christian Walther mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 07:52:49 +0200

>> Did you get a Mac OS 9 installation CD with your powerbook?  If so,
>> installing Mac OS 9 could be tricky (assuming that you can't boot
>> from the CD).
>
> It's very likely that this assumption is not true.  MOL runs just fine
> with any of my Mac OS 9 install CDs.

Of course. I'm not talking about MOL, but booting natively. I was
trying to help Brendan get his Mac OS 9 application to run in a way not
involving MOL.

>> What I got with my powerbook was a disk image on the Software
>> Restore DVD (PowerBook G4 Software/.images/OS9General.dmg)
>> containing a full Mac OS 9 install, if you have that too, you can
>> just copy its contents (or at least the system folder) over to your
>> HD.
>
> I can't test this right now, but you may also be able to boot from
> this image.

It's a Disk Copy image, so you'd probably have to convert it to some
raw image format first. That may be possible with hdiutil in Mac OS X,
I don't know. (If anyone is interested, I can try it.)

  -Christian