Mac OS 9.2.1 on Powerbook 12"

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:39:29 +0200

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 12:03:56AM +0100, Piyush Khengar wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have managed to install MOL 0.9.69 in Gentoo 1.4 which runs OS 10.2.6
> with no problems whatsoever.
>
> However, every time I try to boot from my OS 9.2.1 CD (using startmol
> --cdboot), the system just spits the cd right back out at me! It does
> this after the "+ Video Driver v1.12" statement in the terminal window.
>
> I've tried loads of different configurations, but nothing seems to work.
> I even tried to install OS 9.2.1 from within Classic in OS X, and then
> using MOL to boot it, but that doesn't work either.

The system folder must be blessed. If you perform the installation
in classic, then the system folder will typically not be blessed...

The easiest way to bless a system folder is booting up MacOS 9 and
then drag the Finder file (in the System Foler) to the desktop and
back again. Of course, in this case this trick won't work...

> What could be the problem? Is it possible, or is it just not going to
> work with a PowerBook 12 (which doesn't support OS 9.2.1 anyway)?

It should definitely work. You could try commenting out
all the blkdev lines except the cdrom line in /etc/mol/molrc.macos.
You could also try specifying the cd as a normal disk, e.g.

	blkdev:	/dev/cdrom	-ro -boot

/Samuel