Website: Updates required

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:07:56 +0200

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 10:15:21AM +0200, Sebastian Raible wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just been checking maconlinux.org and I think it seriously requires
> some updates:
>
> front page:
> - does _not_ boot Linux (and I've been told it won't - and it didn't
> work for me.)

It definitely does. It's more or less undocumented though and
not as polished as the Mac OS case.

Basically, one has to add MOL support to the linux kernel using
an initramdisk and then pivot root to the real root disk. The
ldev BK repository contains this code (this method is deprecated
and will not be supported in the future).

Another method (recommended) is patching the linux kernel source
directly. This patch is not downloadable at the moment though. I'll
fix this when I have net access again (later this week hopefully).

> - supports at least OSX 10.2.6 (someone got a new powerbook yet? does
> 10.2.7 work? what about panther?)

Seeded versions of Panther works. I haven't tested 10.2.7 though.

> Any additional changes?

>From the top of my head:

- generic SCSI (including IDE and firewire CD/DVD burners)
- generic USB support (digital cameras, MIDI interfaces etc)
- SMP support
- support of 2.6 kernels
- improved sound driver (ALSA support)
- 604e OSX compatibility
- improved stability
- misc other stuff

> Probably some new screenshots.
> (I'm not sure wether you like my latest one:
> http://linuid.dyn.bawue.de/~freak/guckmal/screenshots/20030920_22.53.30.png)

But I couldn't agree more; the website badly needs an update. I'll
address it when I have uploaded the next mol point release.

Regards,

/Samuel