Which package needed for "make modules"

Jens Schmalzing mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
01 Apr 2004 12:09:19 +0200

Hi,

Marc-Olivier Killijian writes:

> With 'apt-get source kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac' I get a
> directory called kernel-patch-2.4.25-powerpc-2.4.25.  I guess I
> should use make-kpkg to compile kernel-source-2.4.25 using those
> patches.  How ?  It is not a "simple" diff patch but a complete
> directory with plain files and diff files.

In order to get a working powerpc kernel tree from those packages, you
need to install kernel-source-2.4.25, kernel-patch-2.4.25-powerpc and
kernel-build-2.4.25-powerpc.  Then unpack the source tree from the
tarball /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.25.tar.bz2, apply the patch from
/usr/src/kernel-patches/powerpc/debian-powerpc.diff.gz, and unpack
/usr/src/kernel-build-2.4.25-powerpc.tar.bz2 on top of the result.

At least, that's what I usually do.  No, it's neither easy nor
straightforward.  But it wasn't meant to be.  Let me repeat, you
probably don't need the kernel source in the first place.

> OK, I have two versions of mol installed, the rsync'ed and the Debian
> pkg .... I'll try to clean things a little bit. How to do a "make
> uninstall" for the rsync version ?

Since there is no uninstall target in the top-level Makefile, you need
to weed them out by hand.  Most of it got installed in /usr/local, if
you didn't change the default prefix when running the configure
script.

> tsfmok# modprobe mol
>=20
> tsfmok# startmol
> Mac-on-Linux 0.9.71-pre1 [mar 29 2004 17:03]
> Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Samuel Rydh
> Starting MOL session 0
> Removing stale lockfile /var/lock/mol-0
> Fatal error: The MOL kernel module is not loaded

Looks like you are using incompatible versions of the kernel module
and the emulator.  To be sure, I need the output from 'modprobe -l
mol\*' and 'md5sum /lib/modules/2.4.25-powerpc/misc/mol.o'.

Regards, Jens.

--=20
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je p=E9zqbpbe je djuz tqtaj!