video mode/depth not supported

Nathanael Hasbrouck mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 21:43:25 -0400

On Saturday 10 April 2004 1838, somebody named Joost Kremers inscribed this
message:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 05:55:15PM -0400, Nathanael Hasbrouck wrote:
> > > my X server is running at colour depth 24, 32 is not supported, and
> > > i'd rather not run at 8. ;-) does this mean i won't be able to run
> > > MoL inside X, or did i overlook some configuration setting?
> >
> > Have you run molvconfig?  If not, that's probably what you want to
> > do....
>
> ah, thanks! i thought molvconfig was just for the console/fbdev, and
> since that was working fine, i didn't bother to run it.
>
> but now i find that MoL insists on running with 1024x768, which is the
> maximum resolution of my screen. but because of the window border and
> title bar, part of the window falls outside the visible area. even
> specifying a resolution of 800x600 and disabling console video didn't
> change that.

Where did you specify the res.?  I assume in the
appropriate /etc/mol/molrc.* - once MOL is booted can you change the
resolution from within MOL?  MacOS will save it's resolution setting and
restore it on boot, usually regardless of most anything else.

Having said that (and keeping in mind your statement to leave it :), I'll
say that I always run on console.  Mostly because xwindow mode on my box
is painfully slow, but I also like my screen real-estate and whatnot.
Personal preference.  :^)

NRH
--
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
- Garrison Keillor