MOL networked filesystem hangs

Grigori Levchin mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 00:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

I'm new to this list, so I just thought I'd start off
saying MOL is a very impressive piece of software. I'm
running 0.9.70-3 on YDL-3.0.1 and got the whole thing
set up in just a few hours running MacOS 9.2. My goal,
however, is to run MacOS 8.6 and I can't seem to
figure out why opening network drives, either thru
AppleShare (Netatalk) or DAVE (Samba), hangs the OS.
The zoom rectangle barely appears to open when the
graphics freeze and cpu utilization shoots up. It does
actually time out with a server disconnect message
after a *long* time, but who can wait that long (can
it be shortened?) My system works fine booted into
MacOS 8.6 normally. I do have a PowerLogix G3 upgrade
chip installed so I thought I'd try the Ticks program,
but couldn't find it. I also tried every combination
of network drivers I could think of in molrc.net
(except tap.) Has anyone experienced this before and
is how to avoid it known to them? Everything works
fine in MacOS 9.2 with MOL, and I've applied all the
AppleShare updates for 8.6 I could find from Apple,
but with no luck. I'm stuck with OpenTransport 2.0.3
with this version of 8.6 too. Oh yes, and I'm running
kernel 2.4.22-2f that came with YDL.