Newbie questions

Steve Roy mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:35:03 -0400

Good morning,

I installed Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 on my TiPB three days ago and have
been getting myself more familiar with it. One thing I was hoping to
use is Mac-on-Linux, but startmol -X wouldn't work. I tried following
the user guide instructions from <http://maconlinux.org/userguide>.
What I understood is that:

1. I have to download mol-0.9.70-3.ppc.rpm and install it, so I did
that.
2. I have to download mol-kmods-0.9.70-3.src.rpm so I can compile the
kernel modules. I haven't done that yet.

Feel free to let me know if I'm wrong at this point.

Now to compile mol-kmods, I read I had to make sure I have the latest
kernel headers. I saw that I have kernel 2.4.22-2f, while the latest is
2.4.22-2g, so I tried to run 'yum update'. It would start but stop
along the way with an errno 104 and a message saying the connection was
reset by the peer. Googling for that I found
<http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:54sy0apSj6cJ:www.sharplabs.com:
8668/space/Configuring%2BYDL/
Kernel%2BErrors%2Band%2BMac%2BOn%2BLinux+%22mac-on-
linux%22+%2Byum&hl=en>.

Now again, feel free to let me know if I'm going the wrong way here.

This link explains why 'yum update' doesn't work and so I copied the
yum.conf file it recommends and ran 'yum update' again. This time it
worked, but somehow when it was done the command 'rpm -i
mol-kmods-0.9.70-3.ppc.rpm' appeared in the terminal. It failed because
it couldn't find mol-kmods-0.9.70-3.ppc.rpm, which the MOL download
page says doesn't exist because it has to be compiled (see 2. above).

So now I was wondering what to do. Reading the instructions for the
next step in the googled link above, it said that after running 'yum
update' the 2.4.22-2g kernel should be in the /boot directory. So I
looked but it's not there.  What do I do?

In addition, the instructions said I have to edit yaboot.conf to
include the new kernel. I did that to get ahead, but then I have to run
'ybin -v' and when I try I get "command not found", which is rather
weird. What's going on?

Thanks for any help,

Steve

--