Newbie questions

Bill Fink mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:11:20 -0400

Steve,

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Steve Roy wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2004, at 4:04 AM, Bill Fink wrote:
>
> > yum install kernel-source
>
> Thank you, I figured out this bit last night and was able to run
> rpmbuild on the mol-kmods src rpm. I rebooted and thought I was home
> free at this point, but MOL still won't start:
>
> # startmol --loadonly
> /usr/lib/mol/0.9.70/bin/mol: error while loading shared libraries:
> libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> Googling for this, I found that libasound is part of ALSA, but there is
> no package available for ALSA according to yum. Seeing this I tried
> 'startmol -a --loadonly' but the same message as above came up. I think
> I'm really stuck now. What do I do?

It looks like MOL thinks you have ALSA on your system for some reason,
perhaps because of the presence of some header file.  I would try the
following:

	Put mol-kmods-0.9.70-1.src.rpm in /usr/src/rpm/SRPMS

	Install the source RPM by:

		rpm -i /usr/src/rpm/SRPMS/mol-kmods-0.9.70-1.src.rpm

	Edit the /usr/src/rpm/SPECS/mol-kmods.spec

	In the "%build" section, after the line "make clean", add the
	line to disable MOL's use of ALSA:

		./configure --disable-alsa

	Build a new binary mol-kmods RPM via:

		rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/rpm/SPECS/mol-kmods.spec

	Install the new binary mol-kmods RPM with:

		rpm -U /usr/src/rpm/mol-kmods-0.9.70-1.ppc.rpm

	You may need to first remove any currently installed
	mol-kmods RPM with "rpm -e mol-kmods" before doing the
	above.

						-Hope this helps

						-Bill