MOL networking on TiBook with YDL 4

John M. Wright jmw at chem.ucsd.edu
Sat Dec 4 00:24:00 MST 2004

I've been happily using MOL under YDL 3.01 on a late (1 GHz)
TiBook ever since 3.01 was released.  Recently I've installed
YDL 4 (in a separate partition, so I can boot into either 4
or 3.01).  The installation of YDL 4 went reasonably well
(much better than that of 3.0, though not quite as smoothly
as 3.01) and most things are working well now.  An exception
is MOL - it runs OK, but I cannot get _networking_ to work
properly.  I am using the tun interface with DHCP.  DHCP
assigns MOL an IP address OK, but there is no name service.
I can ping any IP address that I've tried, but name lookup
is totally non-functional.  On the MacOS X side, eg, under
YDL 3.01, if I use nslookup (either via command line from
a terminal, or from the Network Utility panel) I can look
up any domain name that I've tried so far.  Under YDL 4,
if I invoke nslookup, I get "Can't find server name for
address x.y.z.1: no response from server", where x.y.z.1
is the server provided by my RoadRunner ISP.

I haven't found anything in the YDL or MOL archives, or by
Googling, that seems to bear on this.  I'd be grateful for
any ideas or suggestions.

John Wright

 Dr. John M. Wright, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, M/S 0314, UCSD,
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0314; email: jwright at ucsd.edu; phone: 858-534-3049