MOL release candidate available

Christian Jaeger mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 23:51 +0100

Everything seems to work now, but it's strange that mol constantly
takes about 9% cpu time with only the finder running (it didn't take
more than 2% cpu in this case with previous versions).=20
VT switch time feels also considerably slower than before. It's strange
since at first video was only 8 bit (or even less?), and it felt super
fast, I then changed resolution back to 16 bit and now even if I switch
back to 256 colors, it's still slower and takes 9% cpu.

Setting
 rom_image:              /root/MacOSROM
 processor: G3
didn't change anything (as expected since rom_image is not used anyway
and processor defaulted to 750 anyway).
I switched off enable_usb, switched off networking, tried with X=20
display off and on, all to no avail.

The cpu eater is a bit of a pity since it both slows down everything and
heats up the laptop.

The mol process eating cpu calls this all the time (strace; about 210=20
times per second):
_newselect(0xe, 0x7ffff6c8, 0, 0, 0x7ffff750) =3D 0
_newselect(0xe, 0x7ffff6c8, 0, 0, 0x7ffff750) =3D 0

I'll go on using it, maybe I can narrow it down a bit.
(Well one thing apart from the new kernel and new mol that's unusual for
me is that I have an external usb disc attached and mounted on linux;=20
but then setting enable_usb off didn't help.)

Cheers,
Christian.

ps. this is a powerbook g3 lombard (=3D 333mhz with scsi) w/ 512mb ram,
kernel 2.6.2rc1-ben1, running woody + some recompiled sid stuff.