MOL & kernels

Mike 'Lew' Lamar mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:15:47 -0800

A couple months ago I downloaded and installed YDL 3.0 on my G4.  I
had used Red Hat
at work in the past, so I was excited to be able to have basically
the same system on my
Mac at home, and using MOL sounded so cool that I could have the best
of both worlds
on my computer at the same time.  Reality hasn't been so good however.

When I ran MOL, it was nice to have access to all my Mac OS X
applications, but the networking
was basically unusable, since I could not get email, or do
file-sharing through MOL.  I had
gotten some mail suggesting that I update to the 2.4.22 kernel from
the 2.4.20-8d that was installed.

So I did a 'yum update' and got kernel 2.4.22-2g, mol 0.9.69-1a, and
mol-kmods 0.9.69-3.2.4.22.2g
installed on my machine.  Well the only problem is that this kernel
does not boot on my machine,
and I get a kernel panic during the boot process.  If this is the
same kernel that is on the YDL 3.0.1
installation, then that makes sense, because I could not boot from
the YDL 3.0.1 CD due to a
kernel panic.  Strike 1.

So then I find a source copy of kernel 2.4.22-ben2 along with the
necessary patch, and I build this
one from source.  I'm thinking that this is pretty cool that I can
select the modules that I'm going
to use, and this is what Linux is supposed to be all about.  Well I
get it built and installed, and it
won't boot either.  My machine hangs on the part where it is
'checking for new hardware'.
Strike 2.

OK, maybe there's another one that will work.  So I find kernel
2.4.24-ben1-tss from ppckernel.org,
and I download and install it.  This one boots and seems to work.
Now I can't run MOL, because
it is expecting that I run from kernel 2.4.22, not 2.4.24.  The
message from MOL suggests that I
recompile the mol-kmods.  Well I get some compile errors, and this
one won't work either.
Foul ball, still strike 2.

So I'm not sure where to go from here.  I really would like to have
the linkage between Linux and
my Mac OS X via MOL and also hflplus utilities, but I'm close to
striking out here.  If anyone
out there has an answer to this, I would appreciate it a lot.
--
Mike 'Lew' Lamar - Web Designer & Programmer
http://www.abbaroo.com/