MOL release candidate available

Nathanael Hasbrouck mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:23:31 -0500

--Boundary-00=_jEJDAven56YCYBy

I've been doing some testing (and general using) over the past little while
with MOL versions (0.9.70) rsync'd from around the tenth through Friday
morning.  Most recently compiled against a fresh custom 2.4.24-ben1 with
self-compiled alsa 0.9.8 modules built from alsa-source debian package,
running on an up to date Debian Sid (unstable) system.  Output from 'lspci'
at the bottom of the message, and my most recent mol.0.log file is attached,
I'm booting OS 8.6 under MOL from an MOL-only external scsi disk.  Behavior
has not changed noticeably at all through rsyncs, recompiles, move from
kernel 2.4.23-ben1 to 2.4.24-ben1, etc.

I'm having a problem; MOL will frequently lock up my whole machine.  Pegs the
cpu meter, apps don't respond anymore, keyboard is unresponsive (ctl-alt-del
doesn't reboot) and essentially renders my entire system unusable.  The way
it crashes seems to be somewhat of a progression - if I'm quick I can maybe
do an 'ls' on a free xterm or logout but apps and stuff hang pretty quickly
after that.

I'm often able to switch to another console (vt1 or 2, for instance) but
sometimes I gets stuck in vt2 or trying to login in vt1 hangs after typing my
username and hitting return.  If the entire machine hasn't gone down hard I
can sometimes get in from the network - appletalk will often respond when MOL
won't, and sometimes I'm able to ssh in from another box and poke around a
little.  Running 'ps aux' one of the times (didn't think to copy off the
output, sorry) told me that 'mol' had become a zombie process and the
'/usr/local/lib/mol/0.9.70/bin/mol' processes were in an uninteruptable
sleep.  Any shutdown processes that I ran ended up in an uninteruptable sleep
state as well.

I'm not entirely sure what type of actions in MOL trigger this behavior - It
_seems_ to be network access related - it will consistently do funny things
when trying to open an appletalk volume.  If I mount a disk from the chooser
and double-click it to open it, Mac OS will hang after displaying the first
zoom rectangle. If I go to 'Recent Servers' in the Apple menu, it opens fine
but if I try to open a subdirectory it displays the first zoomrect and sits
there.  Force Quitting the finder fixes that, though.  Other than that, it
seems rather random.  I admittedly haven't done anything with TCP/IP
networking.

Also, one of the times MOL hung up this afternoon, I went back over to KDE and
tried to kill it from the shell.  Shell hung after the first ctl-C and
message, so I quickly hit my logout button (it worked!) and told the machine
to reboot.  It shut down KDE/X and told me the system was going down NOW, but
it hung there.  I ssh'd in and it was about the same as the other time I got
in that way, mol was Zombied, I managed to kill a couple of the sleeping
'/usr/local/whatever/bin/mol' processes but one was in an uninteruptible
sleep (along with about five shutdown processes) and one was still using a
bunch of CPU and also refused to be killed.  I  don't know if it's relevant,
but I also noticed on my console here I was getting 'IN= OUT=tun0
SRC=192.168.40.1 DST=192.168.40.255 Len=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF
PROTO=UDP SPT=137 DPT=137 LEN=58' (hand copied) messages every so often and
checking /var/log/messages from my ssh shell revealed they started after the
mol kernel modules were insmoded.  I seem to remember something similar to
that a while ago on the list but I couldn't find it. :^/

Anyway, sorry for the length of this thing.  I'd really like to fix this and
be able to use MOL for stuff without rebooting my machine a couple times a
day, but I'm kinda stuck right now.  If I forgot something, whack me and I'll
do it/find it/whatever. :^)

NRH

nate@wallace:~/src/mol-rsync/src$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 740/750
temperature     : 31-33 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 195MHz       # should be 450Mhz....
revision        : 131.0 (pvr 0008 8300)
bogomips        : 897.84
machine         : Power Macintosh
motherboard     : AAPL,7500 MacRISC
detected as     : 16 (PowerMac 7500)
pmac flags      : 00000000
memory          : 512MB
l2cr override   : 0xb900007e
pmac-generation : OldWorld

--
It's not that I'm afraid to die.  I just don't want to be there when it
happens. - Woody Allen

--Boundary-00=_jEJDAven56YCYBy

Running in PowerPC 750 mode, 160 MB RAM
Timebase: 11.24 MHz, Bus: 44.99 MHz, Clock: 195 MHz
Using USB mouse on /dev/input/mice
OHCI USB controller registered
Fullscreen video on VT 2.
Cache enabled for console-video
Video driver(s): [console_video]

     800* 600, depth 8,15,32   { 0.0, 0.0 } Hz

Autoswitching to console
Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF
Ethernet Interface (port 2) 'tun-<tun0>' @ 00:00:0D:EA:DB:EE
MOL SCSI controller registered

    /dev/sg1 SCSI-<1:0:3> CD/DVD MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-8005   2.0h
    /dev/sg5 SCSI-<2:0:3> CD/DVD NEC      CD-ROM DRIVE:502 2.0y

    SCSI /dev/cdrom  [skipped - handled as a generic SCSI device]
------> /dev/sda4 is linux-mounted with write privileges.
    HFS  /dev/sda4        Philosopher    <read-only>  4598 MB
    HFS+ /dev/sdb4        Historian      <rw> 1041 MB
    HFS  /dev/sdc4        2nd Baseman    <rw> 2047 MB BOOT
------> /dev/sdd4 is linux-mounted with write privileges.
Could not open '/dev/sdd4' with read-write permissions

>> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.12
>> ofmem_map: Bad parameters (81000010 81000010 001D5000)
>> Boot Disk: /pci/pci-bridge/mol-blk@0/disk@0:0 [HFS]
>> Starting ELF boot loader
>> RTAS instantiated at 00004000

+ Mouse Driver v1.0