iTunes Music Store authorization workaround?

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:16:49 +0100

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 03:46:50AM -0800, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. wrote:
>         Well, what I found out is that after I changed the tun virtual
> ethernet address (in the MOL source) from the fake 00:00:0d:ea:db:ee
> to the real hardware address, iTunes correctly figures out that the
> machine is already authorized and I can play music.  (The OSX network
> device changed from en2 to en0 when I did this so I also had to adjust
> the network configuration.)
>
>         Seems to work fine so far but is there anything wrong with
> doing this?  Is there a better way?

I'm uncertain whether the standard permits the same mac
address beeing used on two separate subnets. I would guess
that it is OK. In any case, the linux kernel can probably
cope with it.

I'll probably add a molrc config option to make it simpler to
specify the mac address by hand.

/Samuel