how to set up another location/partition/disk for swap in osX ?

Anne et Bertrand mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:03:39 +0200

Bill Fink wrote:
> For running MacOS X via MOL, I think you want to increase the ram_size
> in /etc/mol/molrc.osx (it can be larger than your physical RAM), and
> then just make sure that you have enough Linux swap.  That way MacOS X
> shouldn't need to swap since it would think it had lots of memory.
> The Linux swap can be either a partition or a file (check the man
> pages for mkswap and swapon and you can add an extra swap entry
> to /etc/fstab to have the system automatically use the new swap
> space on boot).

(don't cc me, I'm on the list)

I can't. It's one the odities of my system (MandrakePPC-9.1 Powermac
4400 upgraded with a G3 card on the L2 connector, not well supported by
linux) :
I've got a 300MB swap partition for Linux. But if I give too much ram to
mol in molrc (or after running a ram hungry app in linux), then either
linux freezes or it kills the apps (mol and X11 included...). It's the
case if I give more than 100/110 MB for mol.
(And if X11 is killed, then restarting it will freeze the system. No
matter what 2.4-kernel or what version of X11 I use... That's even why I
can't use kernel 2.6 : X11 will freeze after each boot with a 2.6 kernel.)

Thanks,
Bertrand Dekoninck