Mol with 10.3.2 - Login falsely claims "Can't login" / CPU stepping

Thomas Otto mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 22:39:33 +0100

Hi!

Using debians mol 0.9.69+20040307-1 packets on an iBook G3 running
2.6.3-mm3 works fine, it also says "<*> MOL acceleration for 10.3" on
startup - except the minor annoyance that when I get to the login
screen, type my password and hit enter:
OS X says that I "can't login at this time due to a Problem" and that I
should contact my sysadmin, only option being "OK".
I hit enter again and can login nonetheless - huh?
Booting vanilla OS X doesn't show this messagebox. I've seen this
problem with the prior version 0.9.69+20040124-1 as well.

While the OS X loginmanager is running or rather idleing 'top' (in an
ssh terminal) shows about 50% CPU usage of mol which then drops to
something 0.x-ish when I'm logged on.
I also have powernowd running which switches the cpustate from 400 to
700 Mhz and vice versa if needed. When I start mol the cpu is usually at
400 so "About this Mac" shows 400Mhz all the time even if the cpu scales
up again to 700 during the startupprocess.

So my question is how OS X within mol copes with these frequency changes
while it is running, at the moment I have edited the end of the startmol
script to do a "killall -USR1 powernowd" to stop the demon before the
'exec $BIN_DIR/mol "${MOLARGS[@]}"', removed the 'exec' and added
killall -USR2 powernowd after this line - just for the cosmetic effect
of having 700 Mhz displayed in OS X tbh, I haven't seen mol getting
unstable with cpuscaling enabled.

Regards

         -Thomas