Way too much SPAM on this list atm

Romeyn Prescott mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:05:53 -0500

At 11:21 AM +0800 3/13/04, Philip Cummins scribbled:
>Hello,
>
>>I would like to avoid requiring membership privileges if possible.
>>I'll talk with the YDL guys and see if we can get the list washed
>>through spamassassin...
>
>Membership to post is not an onerous restriction I find. If there
>are people that are posting from the wrong address, it's a simple
>matter to inform them when they get caught in moderation to update
>their details. I guess what with the recent spoofing email attacks
>that have been occuring extra checks may be required to confirm
>who's -really- sending, but in general most spam to lists can be
>blocked fairly easily with members only posting restrictions. (Oh
>yes, and blocking email listings on the web to stop email trawling).
>For filtering, since MOL lists use Mailman it is trivial to filter
>on the List-Id: field. I use this to filter on, so no MOL list spam
>gets to my personal mailbox if it comes through the list.

I'm on one particular list that confirms EACH POST with a mail-back
that essentially says "was that really you?"  If you never respond,
your post never appears.

I'm not saying that we have to be THAT nasty, but this IS getting
rather annoying.  I've never run a mailing list, but to my mind,
these things ought to be possible:

1) If you're not subscribed, you don't get to post.
2) If you abuse your subscription, you get un-subbed.
3) Repeat offenses result in BAN

I know there are huge holes in 2 and 3, but even just #1 would
probably stem much of this and prevent messages generated by
usenet-trolling 'bots.

...ROMeyn
--
signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/prescor/signat-url.htm