Way too much SPAM on this list atm

Kent West mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:20:35 -0600

Romeyn Prescott wrote:

> At 11:21 AM +0800 3/13/04, Philip Cummins scribbled:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> I would like to avoid requiring membership privileges if possible.
>>> I'll talk with the YDL guys and see if we can get the list washed
>>> through spamassassin...
>>

>> Membership to post is not an onerous restriction I find. If there are
>> people that are posting from the wrong address, it's a simple matter
>> to inform them when they get caught in moderation to update their
>> details. I guess what with the recent spoofing email attacks that
>> have been occuring extra checks may be required to confirm who's
>> -really- sending, but in general most spam to lists can be blocked
>> fairly easily with members only posting restrictions. (Oh yes, and
>> blocking email listings on the web to stop email trawling). For
>> filtering, since MOL lists use Mailman it is trivial to filter on the
>> my personal mailbox if it comes through the list.
>>

> I'm on one particular list that confirms EACH POST with a mail-back
> that essentially says "was that really you?"  If you never respond,
> your post never appears.

There could be a compromise, where the first time you post, the system
mails back a choice:

    Click _here_ to subscribe to this list, with full posting privileges.
    Click _here2_ to "semi-subscribe": your email address will be put
into a list of "guest subscribers", and will be removed from that list
after 30 days of inactivity, and posts will be stripped of HTML and
attachments.
    Click _here3_ to post just this one time.

Would take a little bit more work on the backend, but should stop the
autobots while still keeping it easy for non-subscribers to post.

--
Kent