reinstalling os x within mol

David Bélanger mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 03:58:40 -0500

Hi,

I want to reinstall OS X but I don't want to touch any Linux
partition...  In the reinstallation process, I want to shrink OS X
partition from 14GB to 6GB.  OS X partition has been erased and marked
as free.  It is located at the end of the disk.

I tried via mol.  Boots the installer CD fine.  /dev/hda16 (the previous
14GB partition) is exported by mol.  Was able to see it, split and
format it to HFS+ within the Disk Utility.

However, when I tried to install OS X at section where the volume is
selected.  I got a message like:
"OS X cannot be installed on that volume.  OS X cannot boot from that
volume because it does not have a valid openfirmware path."

If I boot OS X natively (i.e. not within mol), it sees the entire disk as
free...

Any suggestion?

I have an iBook2 G3 700MHz and OS X 10.2.x.

David

---

David Bélanger
Graduate Student