2g limit is where

ix ix at replic.net
Sat Nov 13 16:09:25 MST 2004

hi, posted a question a few months ago about being unable to boot, and got no answer, so i will try again, this time providing more information,

my G3 has plenty of RAM, however it has very little HD space and no DVD-ROM, so i have created a 4gb blank install disk with dd over samba, and also dd'd the install DVD to a file, so both the boot and install volume reside on a large HD on Windows XP... I've successfully used this setup with sub-2gb images without problems, but even tho i could install Rhapsody DR2 including devtools into 400 mb, thats no longer the case, both the installer and the required space are > 2gb now..

heres the errors:

fstat: Value too large for defined data type
fstat: Value too large for defined data type
    Disk  /c/local/wbin/.. - Partioned -  <read-only>   ------ BOOT
    Disk  /c/local/wbin/..                <rw> 4000 MB

>> MacOS X Boot Loader 0.9.70
>> Candidate boot volume: /mol-blk at 0/disk at 1:3
>> /mol-blk at 0/disk at 1:3,\mach_kernel (4179512 bytes)
>> /mol-blk at 0/disk at 1:3,\System\Library\Extensions.mkext
>> File is too large.
>> Failed to load mkext!
>> SyncRead: error

RVEC-DEBUGGER <1882>
RVEC-DEBUGGER <1882>
RVEC-DEBUGGER <1882>
RVEC-DEBUGGER <1882>
Signal INT
One more to kill emulator

i just don't know where to begin. is it a FS limit, a kernel limit, a maconlinux limit, a samba limit, a XP limit? thanks for any ideas...

c\