installing OS X from within MoL

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 8 12:20:49 MDT 2004

hi list,

i have an iBook G3 running slackware. i used to have OS X on a second
partition, which at the time ran fine both when booted by itself and within
MoL. Then i blew away that partition to try out CRUX/PPC. yesterday, i
tried reinstalling OS X on that partition, but i had some problems with
it. the disk manager reported an empty disk of 12.6GB, which is the size of
the OS X/CRUX partition. i then figured i could safely proceed to form one
partition on it, which would then be used to install OS X. but for some
reason, after forming the one partition, the disk was suddenly 27GB, which
is (almost) the size of my entire hard disk. big oops. i broke off the
installation, booted from the CRUX install cd and recreated the old
partition table. luckily, i was still able to boot into slackware.

then i tried to run the OS X installer from within MoL. this seemed to go
fine, and the disk manager seemed to see a disk of 27GB containing another
disk of 12.6GB.

now my question: if i proceed to install, will it work properly? that is,
is there any chance of my slackware partition (from which MoL is running)
being accidentally destroyed? i figure MoL is smart enough to fool the OS X
installer into thinking it only has the 12.6GB, but i kinda really wanna be
sure...

another question: if OS X is installed from within MoL, will it be able to
boot by itself, i.e., without MoL?

TIA

--
Joost Kremers