MOL sets date to July 17, 2039

Tommy twt at arkansas.net
Fri Oct 8 13:23:58 MDT 2004

Greetings! Please forgive me if this has been covered -- Google
apparently doesn't index the list archives (for better or for worse!) so
I cannot tell for sure this hasn't been covered.

I instlled mol from Debian Testing (mol package version 0.9.70-8,
mol-drivers-macos package version 0.9.70-1 and
mol-modules-2.6.8-powerpc). I'm running a 1998 PowerBook G3 Series 266
Mhz (the model after "WallStreet" but before "lombard").

I have been absolutely AMAZED at how well mol works, loading MacOS 9.2.2
with no trouble or even much additional configuration. I have had a few
problems with it, but this date issue concerns me the most so I'm
starting there --

I see from a quick glance at the dates on the archive listing proves
that some others are getting bitten by this, too --

http://lists.maconlinux.org/pipermail/mol-general/

For some reason, sometimes MOL changes the date in MacOS 9.2.2. to
Sunday, July 17, 2039 at about 6:00 AM. I've noticed this before, but my
first response was to turn on the automatic update option in Apple's
Date and Time control panel. Today the date reverted during an active
MOL session, and the only thing I can figure is the system was sitting
idle for awhile and the KDE screensaver (and maybe something else) had
kicked in.

I'm new to Debian-PPC and don't know the ropes yet but I will also
mention I'm running pbbuttonsd and laptop-mode. I have experienced some
sound daemon flakiness and a KDE hang earlier today and I haven't
figured those out so if there are other datapoints needed there please
let me know.