ELF OpenFirmware Loader Problem

Jon Masters jonmasters at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 10:40:45 MDT 2004

Hi all,

I have installed the latest MOL release via the Debian binaries and am
able to boot Mac OS 9 correctly on my Powerbook. I have installed the
Linux and OSX driver packages also.

When I attempt to boot a Linux kernel, MOL successfully loads yaboot
and seemingly also the yaboot.conf file from the pseudofilesystem in
the OF device tree, but it is unable to load any vmlinux image that I
specify (a correct verifiable ELF) and returns that this is not an ELF
file. I expect this is simply a message occuring as a result of
another fault (typically it seems this happens when you don't have the
drivers correctly installed) but I'm not entirely sure where to look
for any further advice, having lost a weekend afternoon trying to fix
it.

Could anyone here shed some light on the correct procedure to
currently boot a kernel - I don't need to do anything other than boot
an vmlinux as I want to use MOL to debug some hacks I'm working on for
the ppc32 OpenFirmware parsing algorithms and was hoping to do this in
preference to rebooting my laptop regularly. I wanted to build this
from source but it seems only the debian kernel module package is
happy building for 2.6.8.1 without a lot of symlinks and other hacking
to the build structure created under kmod (I also tried the stable BK
tree but not the unstable one yet - anything which works will do
though).

Cheers,

Jon.