mol and macos9 on beige g3: brief hang when mouse clicked

Dan Bullok dan.mol at bullok.com
Mon Oct 18 17:57:57 MDT 2004

I've installed mol on a 300Mhz beige G3, 320MB RAM, running gentoo linux.
I installed macos 9.1 from within mol, and it works, but I'm having a
problem. Whenever I click on an icon or a window, the mouse freezes for
about a second. The machine is completely unresponsive during this period.
This does not happen when I click on a drop down menu, but it does occur
right before a submenu pops up. This makes it impossible to doubleclick,
because the machine is frozen for a second or so after the first click.

 * dmesg doesn't show anything funny
 * This happens when running mol in console or x-windows, in 8 and 15 bit
color depth.
 * Disabling networking and sound seems (can't be sure) to shorten the
freeze to about half a second.
 * The freeze doesn't seem to be related to disk access.
 * The mouse motion is very smooth and responsive, except when dragging a
window, when it seems very jerky.
 * This doesn't happen with any linux native software.

I'm assuming that this isn't normal behavior, because macos is barely usable
this way.

I have a wild guess about what this might be. There are certain macos system
events (like clicking on an icon, loading/displaying a submenu) that cause
macos to do some work behind the scenes.  My guess is that it's requesting
something that mol can't/won't deliver in a timely fashion, for whatever
reason.  I'm willing to run the mol debugger to try to isolate this
problem, but it looks a bit intimidating at first glance.  Does anyone have
any tips on how I might find out what's going on during this pause?

Thanks,
-Dan