Prism2 under Debian PPC stable

Mark S. Mathews mark at linux-wlan.com
Fri Oct 22 23:25:40 MDT 2004

This is a little OT for the MOL list but I'll answer anyway.  ;-)

This is a bit of a complicated question, there are three or more
open-source drivers that support the prism2/2.5/3 devices.  There's the
hostap stuff, the orinoco stuff, and linux-wlan-ng (our stuff ;-).  At
this point they all support the devices pretty well.  Whichever driver set
you use, you'll need the *_cs variant of the driver.

At some point, I'm pretty sure the orinico_cs support was included in the
pcmcia-cs package.  You may want to check for that and also make sure the
conf files in /etc/pcmcia map the device ids for your device to the
orinonco driver.

If the version of pcmcia-cs is too old for orinico,
another approach is kernel pcmcia (which may already be turned on, check
the config file for the kernel you're booting it'll be in /boot).  If
kernel pcmcia is turned on, then the orinioco_cs option should be
available under the networkdevices/wireless options in the kernel config.

Another option is the deb linux-wlan-ng package or to build it yourself
from source.  I don't actually maintain the deb package so I don't know
about it's status....I always build from source.  It runs just fine on my
powerbook so there shouldn't be any problems with ppc and/or mac
compatibility.

Hope something here helps.  If you have more questions, write me direct.
As I said, we're a little off-topic for the MOL list here.  No sense
cluttering folks inboxes worse than they already are.

Since I _am_ posting to the MOL list that I generally lurk on, allow me to
give my thanks to all the MOL folks.  I use it quite a bit on my powerbook
G4 and it's pretty close to flawless.  I get an odd 'keyboard state stuck'
problem from time to time but I can usually clear it.  It hasn't bothered
me enough to characterize it fully.  That's why I've never mentioned it.

PBG415" + Deb/unstable + MOL/osx makes for a really nice machine that's
served me well for over a year now.  ;-)

Best Regards,
-Mark