Applied Tiger patch, Tiger still won't install

Joshua Kugler joshua.kugler at uaf.edu
Thu Aug 4 11:43:20 MDT 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 03:15, Mattias Nissler wrote:
> Have a look at this message (and the rest of the thread):
>
> http://lists.maconlinux.org/pipermail/mol-general/2005-July/003785.html
>
> What Matt finally did was to change the Info.plist file in a disc
> image and install from the modified image. But what I would try first
> is changing the compatible attribute in /usr/share/mol/<version>/
> oftrees/oftree.x to

>      (property compatible         <str>          "Powerbook5,6",
> "AAPL,MOL", "MacRISC", "Power Macintosh" )
>
> You can pick anything from Powerbook5,1 to Powerbook5,7 I think.

Thanks for the tip, however that didn't work. Bummer.

> However, if this doesn't work, you can still use a modified disc
> image as described by Matt.

Matt's message says this:

> You might be onto something here: I found that there is a file
> System/Installation/Packages/Bundled Software.mpkg/Contents/Info.plist
> that contains a 'requires' entry (the file is XML) which seems to be
> for the 'hw.model', and in there it lists PowerBook5,1 through to
> Powerbook5,7.  Similarly there are a couple of others for AppleWorks
> Languages, and CPU Help Files, which also need these processors.

However, on my Tiger install disk there is no Bundled Software.mpkg in
System/Installation/Packages.  Unless you mean each directory in Packages.
But running

 find ./ -name Info.plist -exec grep -i -H Requires '{}' ';'

in Packages returns nothing, so I'm not sure where to go from here.  In fact,
running that find/grep command in the root directory of the DVD returns a
small list of files in
System/Library/SystemConfiguration/<something>.bundle/Contents.plist.  But in
those files, the require refers to other components it needs, such as:

	<key>Requires</key>
	<array>
		<string>com.apple.SystemConfiguration.ATconfig</string>
		<string>com.apple.SystemConfiguration.IPConfiguration</string>
		<string>com.apple.SystemConfiguration.IPMonitor</string>
	</array>

And running

find ./ -name Info.plist -exec grep -i -H hw.model '{}' ';'

returns nothing.  In fact, running just

find ./ -exec grep -i -H hw.model '{}' ';'|less

returns nothing.

Soooooooo...any other ideas? :)  I've got to be missing something obvious.
Maybe I'll try a native install, then restore the boot loader once that's
done.

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator