Mac-on-Linux?

Joshua Wehner josh.wehner at ultratec.com
Fri Feb 25 08:50:27 MST 2005

I think I'm starting to understand MOL a little better, but I'm not any
closer to a solutioin: I still just get a blank black screen when I try
to startmol.

1) I finally realized that I needed a MacOS partition. That wasn't
clear before.
2) So, I re-installed MacOS 8.6 and YDL 4.0 from scratch.
3) I've got a HFS partition on /dev/hdb6 now. And I've altered
molrc.macos to make it rw and bootable, and the only partition (since
it should be the only HFS partition).
4) I tried disabling the network (really just commenting it out in
molrc.macos) but that didn't solve anything.
5) I tried it with networking (uncommenting) and that didn't make
things much better (though I did get a line like "ip_tables: (C)
2000-2002 Netfilter core team\n ip_conntrack version 2.1 (2048 buckets,
16384 max) - 296 bytes per conntrack" on the blank black screen).

All I want, in the end, is this:
http://www.maconlinux.org/sshots/pic2.jpg

Here's what I get:

[root at MarComm mol]# startmol
Mac-on-Linux 0.9.71-pre1 [Aug 27 2004 16:38]
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Samuel Rydh
Starting MOL session 0
Running in PowerPC 750 mode, 48 MB RAM
Timebase: 24.93 MHz, Bus: 99.73 MHz, Clock: 400 MHz
Using USB mouse on /dev/input/mice
OHCI USB controller registered
Could not open '/var/lib/mol/x11.kbd'
Fullscreen video on VT 8.
Could not open '/var/lib/mol/console.kbd'
Cache enabled for console-video
Video driver(s): [xvideo] [console_video]

      640* 480, depth 8,15,32   { 59.9 } Hz
      800* 600, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz
     1024* 768, depth 8,15,32   { 0.0, 60.0 } Hz
     1152* 864, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz
     1280*1024, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz
     1600*1200, depth 8,15   { 0.0 } Hz

Autoswitching to console
Signal INT
One more to kill emulator
cleaning up...
Terminating threads...
DONE
[root at MarComm mol]#

And here's my current molrc.macos file:

# -*- perl -*- (for emacs syntax coloring)
#
#  /etc/mol/molrc.macos
#
#  Mac-on-Linux master configuration file for MacOS (classic) booting
#

-------
# Parse other config files (these files are in /etc/mol/)
-------

include		${etc}/molrc.video	# video configuration
include		${etc}/molrc.input	# mouse and keyboard
# include		${etc}/molrc.net	# networking
include		${etc}/molrc.sound	# sound

-------
# Misc Settings
-------

ram_size:		48		# should probably be increased
disable_altivec:	no		#

-------
# HFS Volumes
-------
#
#	To use a HFS disk in mol, add a blkdev line. The syntax is
#
#		blkdev:		<device>   [flags]
#
#	where <device> can be an entire disk (/dev/sda), a single
#	partition (/dev/sda6) or a disk image (/home/samuel/moldisk).
#
#	Valid flags are
#
#		-rw/-ro		read-write / read-only [default]
#		-force		export non-HFS partitions (be careful!)
#		-whole		export the complete disk rather than individual
#				partitions (be careful!)
#		-cd		CD/DVD
#		-boot		boot from this disk.
#		-boot1		boot from this disk (ignore other -boot flags)
#
#	If the --cdboot switch is used, then MOL will boot from CD

blkdev:			/dev/cdrom	-cd ${cdboot}

ifeq ${session} 0 {
     # default configuration
#    blkdev:		/dev/hda	-rw
#    blkdev:		/dev/hdb	-rw
#    blkdev:		/dev/sda	-rw
#    blkdev:		/dev/sdb	-rw
      blkdev:		/dev/hdb6	-rw	-boot
}

ifeq ${session} 4 {
     # alternate configuration (startmol --alt)
     blkdev:		/tmp/hfs.image	-rw
}

ifeq ${boot_type} oldworld {
     # oldworld booting (for MacOS 8.5 or older)
     blkdev:		/tmp/oldworld.image -rw
}

-------
# SCSI Configuration (also relevant for IDE CDs and other SCSI-like
devices)
-------
#
# By default, MOL automatically scans for non-harddisk type SCSI
devices.
# If only specified SCSI devices are to be used by mol, change the
# the autoprobe setting below.
#
# Change the generic_scsi_for_cds setting to 'no' if the patch to
# the 'Apple CD/DVD Driver' has not been installed (refer to the
# readme file in the 'MOL install' volume for instructions).
# Without the patch, CDs will (probably) not show up on the desktop.
# Of course, without generic SCSI there will be no CD-burning...
#
# Note: By passing a command-line argument (e.g. 'hdc=scsi') to the
kernel,
# IDE CDs are seen as SCSI devices. This is how IDE CD burners are
accessed
# in linux (and in MOL)...

generic_scsi_for_cds:	no		# use generic SCSI for CD/DVDs
autoprobe_scsi:		no

# If SCSI autoprobing is disabled then devices must be exported
manually.
# The generic_scsi_for_cds setting is ignored for explicitly specified
devices.

#scsi_dev:		"0:0:0"		# host/channel/id
#scsi_dev:		"1:0:0"		#

-------
# USB Configuration
-------
#
# Generic USB support. Devices that are _not_ claimed by specific
# USB drivers are seen by MOL. Note: Make sure the kernel is compiled
# with 'Preliminary USB device filesystem' support. Also, for best
effect,
# turn off drivers for specific USB devices (like 'USB Scanner
support').

enable_usb:		yes

-------
# MacOS ROM Newworld Configuration
-------
#
#	By default, MOL loads the 'Mac OS ROM' file directly from the System
#	Folder of the startup disk. If this is not desirable (unlikely),
#	then the ROM can be loaded from the linux side by using the
#	newworld_rom keyword. Note that the ROM file must be copied to the
#	linux side as a *binary* without any kind of encoding (avoid
#	MacBinary in particular).
#
#		newworld_rom:	/BK/roms/rom.1.6.nw

On Feb 24, 2005, at 4:58 PM, Anil Samuel wrote:

> I think this is causing the hiccup .. Someone here in the mailing list
> was talking about SCSI drives mabbe u cud sync with that person to
> sort this out.

I don't actually have a SCSI drive, though. I was just trying to get it
to boot from the CD, as in this screenshot:
http://www.maconlinux.org/sshots/pic4.jpg

This was before I realized/decided that I needed an HFS partition, I
had been thinking that the problem was not having an OS (which it kinda
was) and I could solve it with --cdboot.

There's a comment in molrc.macos about an Apple CD/DVD patch. Anyone
know what that's in reference to? Is it necessary on YDL 4.0?

Thanks again!

-- Joshua